Mesquite – the superfood to rule all superfoods?
Mesquite is becoming a well-known necessity in the superfood arena, and with good reason!
This fantastic superfood can serve a variety of uses and is often used in baking, smoothies, breakfast bowls, as a natural sweetener, and much more.
What exactly is mesquite?
Mesquite is a superfood in a form of a pod (legume) that grows on thorn trees. While these magnificent trees are originally from the southwest of the US and Mexico, they can be found scattered all across South Africa in the Northern Cape, Free State, and also in neighboring countries like Namibia and Botswana.
What makes mesquite a superfood?
Firstly, a superfood is a type of food with some sort of extra benefit beyond just being healthy. In the case of mesquite, the biggest added benefit it provides is the fact that it stabilizes the blood sugar levels.
While it tastes sweet, the natural sugars in this amazing food are actually good for us. They are essential sugars, and do not spike the blood sugar at all – instead, they help to balance it.
When the blood sugar levels are balanced, it ensures that we have sustainable energy, we stay fuller for longer, don’t get cravings so often, and helps manage the mood as well as the blood pressure to name but a few.
What are the other benefits of mesquite?
- Promotes gut health & digestion due to its rich fibre content.
- High in omega-3 fatty acids – great for heart health.
- High in zinc which is good for boosting the immune system.
- Contains plenty of plant-protein which aids in muscle growth and recovery.
- Very high in magnesium which helps in managing depression naturally.
- Rich source of other micronutrients like lysine, manganese, and calcium
How do I use mesquite powder?
- Use it as a replacement or partial-replacement when baking cookies, cakes, brownies, and other baked goods.
- Add it into smoothies or health shakes.
- Mix it in with milk or a milk alternative for a great on-the-go power snack.
- Sprinkle it into your breakfast cereal, porridge, granola, or yogurt.
- Add it to a hot beverage for sweetness and a power kick, or make it into its own hot drink.
Where can I get mesquite powder?
You can get it from most health shops and organic stores, and of course the easiest – get it online.
The best one we can recommend with the utmost confidence is Pure Mesquite. It is 100% organic and wild-harvested, and the quality is AMAZING.
Please check it out below to find out more: